The other day my husband, Mr. Pinterest, had a novel idea. "Can we paint the top of the fridge with chalkboard paint and write a weekly dinner schedule on it?" Now, I only call him Mr. Pinterest when he has these really interesting and crafty ideas. I didn't know if you could paint the fridge but I was going to find out.
I went on YouTube and found out that there's a lot of people painting their fridge with chalkboard paint. Who knew? This is how we did it:
- Clean off the fridge or area you want to paint. No stickers or magnets.
- Clean with an appropriate cleaner to get off dirt, grease, fingerprints, etc. Let dry.
- Paint with chalkboard paint. My husband used those foam brushes and painted in horizontal strokes.
- Let dry.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 till you have the desired coverage. He painted 3 coats. No sanding is necessary after the paint dries. Then we let it sit overnight.
- Start using your chalkboard. We're using ours for a dinner menu. Some are using theirs as a calendar.
This fridge came with our house. Perhaps this is why I agreed to this project.
Mr. Pinterest is not a neat painter.
Rowan dug up some chalk for us.
Everything worked out nicely. Mr. Pinterest painted the handle, too, so it would blend in. We all wrote or drew something. It looks like we'll be eating a giant flower on Wednesday and then we'll be having butterflies on Thursday and Saturday. Yum!
I'm sharing this with Common Ground