Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 30, 2014 Sanding the China Hutch Begins

0800  I'm up because today should be nice.  I let Lizzie out and the skies are still cloudy and gray.  I'm showing 44 degrees on The Bird thermometer.  Google weather shows 39 degrees reaching 63 around 2 pm.  It's also showing partly cloudy, so there should be some sun and no rain.

There's lots of things I want to do today.  There will never be enough time.  Rowan has to finish this week's homeschool work so I'll be inside for that.  I'll see if I can take care of laundry, dishes, housecleaning during this time.  I might be able to sand the china hutch for a little while.  After that I want to be outside!  I charged up my camera battery and I'm hoping to take some better pictures.  Maybe I'll get a good one of the chickens.

Last night I finished reading One Acre Homestead by Sara Simmons McDonald.  There are a lot of useful diagrams for figuring out where to put things.  Then there's math.  Lots and lots of math.  Actually it isn't too bad, mostly for pasturing chickens and other animals.  My chickens have a fenced area and aren't free range.  They would be gobbled up lickety-split.  Something I did learn was I am only using one third of my acre.  The middle third.  The house is in the middle of that so I'm technically not even using a third of the land.  It's more like half of a third.  Most of the outside areas are connected because who wants to walk ALL the way over there for one thing and then WAY over there for something else.  Unless it's the compost pile.  Then it can stay way, way over there.

http://www.amazon.com/Acre-Homestead-Sara-Simmons-McDonald-ebook/dp/B00APO6VDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391093033&sr=1-1&keywords=one+acre+homestead

Rowan is awake now.  She sounds croupy.  This may change all the plans for today.

0115  There's been no sun.  The temp is around 60.  I'm not feeling like working today.  I have been busy looking on Craigslist.  I've had an inspiration to buy a camper.  Now I just need to find one.  The internet is full of camper makeovers and you would think these old ugly campers are just laying around everywhere.  Craigslist proves this is just not true.  There are very few.  I've looked at over 3,000 and probably only found 5.



This is how far I got with sanding today.  Not too bad.  Further than I thought I would get.  Now I have a good idea of how long this will take.  Pretty much forever.

  
Here's a pic of the chickens.  They are getting so big.  I'm amazed at how fast they grow.


Peppermint is helping me dig in the garden.  Or she's protecting me from this vicious shovel.

No comments:

Post a Comment